So the verdict is out, and it's
BBC/A (Literature Economics Geography / Biology) with a
B for GP,
B for Chinese and an
A for Project Work. Definitely not the most fantastic grades, but I'm already 99.9% satisfied with it, for it really is the best I've ever fared throughout my entire JC life. And given the minimal effort I had put in for A Levels, what with so many distractions ongoing during that period of time, I've got to say, my grades really are miraculously beyond my expectations and I'm extremely, extremely thankful.
My two years in
JC were really bitter-sweet.
JC1 was really, really horrible. My grades were disgusting(understatement). After promotional exams, I was called up for parent-teacher-meeting for the first time ever throughout my schooling years, due to bad grades. I remember getting Es for Lit, Geog and GP for promos, ending up with just 49 ranking points. Pathetic.
JC2 wasn't all that kind to me either. Or rather, I didn't put in effort in my studies still, so it was a torturous year. I may be attentive and all in school, but contrary to popular belief, I'm a slow learner and I'm nowhere near hardworking. I can never find the mood/motivation to study. So I really, really struggled hard in
JC2. Wanted to give up at many a point, but how could I, how could I?
Then came 3 consecutive strong blows into my life just when the A levels was about 2 months away. I lost all concentration, not that there were a lot of it to begin with. My content for every subject was terribly in lack. And that's like immediate suicide cos every single subject I took required intense memorising. Yet I couldn't feel the pressure cos I was so distracted, all the way till one month before A levels commenced, when I finally started panicking and mugging.
Of all subjects I took, the only subject I ever put in consistent effort in was Biology. Although I only took H1 Bio, it is probably the most content heavy subject after H2 Geog, and yet I was willing to dedicate my time and effort to it, despite it being the least important subject of the lot. It's partly because of my own interest in the subject, but mostly because of the teacher. A good teacher really does make a difference. A great, great difference. I wanted to do well for myself and for the teacher. Because it was her who made Bio seem easy and interesting. It was her who made me realise that an A is achievable. My Bio grades in J1 had been E/S/U all the way when I was taught by another teacher. And it took a 180deg turn come J2, eventually landing me with an A for A Levels :) Enough said - teachers do make significant differences. So thank you, Ms Lee :)
I think most of 09A03 did pretty well for GP :) Remember how we always got vehemently shot down by Mr Soh in every single GP lesson, and in every single assignment/test? Remember how we got so frustrated with him for that? Remember how tense GP lessons always were? How he would criticise our essays one by one in front of the entire class, throw them back to us and make us re-do, re-redo, re-re-redo till he was satisfied with our work? Well, it all paid off. I'd say Mr Soh's a terrific teacher. He may be really anal and all, and his teaching methods may seem strange and unbelievable at times, but he really knows what he's doing doesn't he? A pity we didn't realise earlier that he was teaching us how to fish instead of giving us a fish. And he is a noble teacher, for he knows that his teaching method's gonna make his students detest him, but he was willing to make this sacrifice so selflessly. So thank you, Mr Soh :)
That said, I feel that I do not deserve what I got for my H2s. I'm still in great shock that I managed to get Bs for Lit and Econs - the 2 subjects that I have the least confidence in all the time; the 2 subjects which I haven't put in a lot of effort in. And for that, I have to thank some of my friends (Li Ling, Mabel, Leon) for guiding me along and offering me all the help that I needed everytime I felt lousy/helpless. Given that I rarely consult teachers for Lit, and that I never ever consult teachers for Econs, I'm very sure that it was all your tips and guidance along the way which helped push my grades up so significantly. Thanks, you all :')
I mentioned earlier that I'm 99.9% happy with my grades. That missing 0.01% is due to my Geog grade - a C. H2 Geog is no doubt the craziest subject I've ever taken thus far, for the content alone is unbelievable. But I have only myself to blame for only obtaining a C for it. Despite having truckloads of memorising to be done, Geog is actually a very manageable subject. And I deserve that ugly C grade, for I failed to put in consistent effort into this subject. I didn't even manage to finish studying the entire syllabus for A levels. I'm regretful, and at the same time extremely thankful to have been able to at least score a C and not anything worse. Guess I really was lucky.
So there, my personal reflections for A Levels 2010.
To those who had done well, congratulations! You guys deserve it; all your hard work paid off! :) To those who didn't do that well for whatever reasons, remember that there always is a way out, and it is up to you to choose the path you want to take. Cheer up, be strong, look back, learn, and move on. All the best to all of you! :)
I can't believe I survived JC.
And we shall now embark on our next phase in life.